Sustainability Report 2016 – Brewing a Better World
HEINEKEN Ireland is 100% committed to ‘Brew a Better World’
HEINEKEN Ireland today published its 2016 Sustainability Report outlining its ongoing commitment to sustainability. It provides an update on the significant progress made in meeting the ambitious sustainability targets as part of its ‘Brewing a Better World’ strategy.
HEINEKEN’S global sustainability efforts are focused on six core areas where they and their stakeholders believe the biggest impact can be made; protecting water resources, reducing CO2 emissions, sourcing sustainably, advocating responsible consumption, promoting health and safety and growing with our communities. HEINEKEN Ireland’s key achievements included:
- 100% of its malted barley sourced from Irish farmers supporting local jobs and families
- €100m spent in the local economy supporting local suppliers
- 100% of HEINEKEN Ireland’s draught beers brewed in the Lady’s Well Brewery uses Irish malted barley
- Continues to drive water savings across its brewery, reducing water consumption by 8% since 2008 making HEINEKEN Ireland one of the most water-efficient breweries within HEINEKEN globally
- CO2 emissions have decreased by 52% since 2008 and HEINEKEN Ireland is now sourcing 100% of electricity from renewable resources
- The successful continuation of a strategic partnership with Cork Simon and their Addiction Aftercare Programme
- The first market in Europe to launch Heineken® Light with lower ABV and lower calories.
Advocating responsible consumption is one of the key elements of ‘Brewing a Better World’ and HEINEKEN Ireland demonstrate his commitment by allocating 10% of the Heineken® brand media budget to responsible consumption.
In 2016, employees were encouraged to become actively involved in their communities through a volunteering programme which resulted in donations of almost €10,000 and 1,600 volunteer hours.
HEINEKEN Ireland is on a ten-year sustainability journey through its ‘Brewing a Better World’ programme. Launched in 2010, this programme sets clear 2020 sustainability commitments for the Irish business to achieve. Launching the 2016 ‘Brewing a Better World’ report, Maggie Timoney, Managing Director of HEINEKEN Ireland, said:
“We are 100% committed to sustainability. We look at sustainability from barley to bar and our journey is a true team effort with all of our stakeholders. We can only achieve our ambition through the ongoing efforts of our colleagues and stakeholders and we are very grateful for the great work undertaken to date. Over the past year, we are delighted with our sustainability performance and have exceeded many targets and sourcing local is key to this.
We are very proud to be one of Ireland’s leading beer and cider companies. We combine a love for our craft, passion for quality and a commitment to the responsible consumption of our products to deliver sustainable growth.”